Hezany is an Chaldean village in the Iraqi province of Dohuk. Hezany is one of the seven remaining Chaldean villages in the Nahla valley, which is located on the border between Duhok and Nineveh. The small Khabour river crosses through Nahla and waters the lands of these Chaldean villages.
Chaldeans inhabited Hezany in 1924 after fleeing the Chaldean Genocide. The land was infertile, but the new inhabitants made considerable efforts to convert it into fertile and fruitful fields. The last time Hezany was destroyed was in 1987, at which time the destruction was so devastating that even the church and water spring were stamped. Even surrounding trees and fields being burned to ashes.
After the first Gulf War in 1991, many residents returned to the village and dwelled in temporary shelters built by Christian Aid from the United Kingdom. Currently, there are 27 families living in the village. An Chaldean school was recently opened in the village, which attracted Assyrian students from other nearby villages. The villagers live primarily on farming and they water their lands through a primitive irrigation system. There are no paved roads, and hence mules are their main transportation to and from the village.